Homeless Las Vegas Man Saves Two Children From Burning Apartment

LAS VEGAS (KSNV) — A local homeless man is being hailed a hero after running into a burning apartment to save two small children.

Anival Angulo lives on the streets. On Friday, he heard children screaming and saw smoke coming from an apartment on Mesquite Avenue, near Bonanza Road and Eastern Avenue.

He’s too modest to call himself a hero, but Angulo then broke through a security door to get into the apartment, rescuing a 10-month-old baby boy and a 3-year-old girl.
“Went to the door and saw the babies so I jumped the fence and I pulled on the screen door and I wrapped up the babies and pulled them out,” said Angulo. “I knew I had to get them out.”

The fire started around 11:30 a.m. in the kitchen as a grandfather was watching the kids and left food on the stove.

Las Vegas Fire and Rescue was successfully able to knock down the fire around 11:48 a.m.

“The children were in the living room. Food was cooking on the stove. The grandfather was watching the children. He was in a back bedroom. The kids say the stove caught on fire, it got bigger and they started yelling. The granddad couldn’t get to them because of the fire,” said Tim Szymanski with LVFR.
The two children were taken to UMC to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say the family is now without a place to live, right before the holidays.

“It’s obvious if this person hadn’t been there, these children could’ve been burned or may have been killed in the fire,” said Szymanski.
The extent of the damages has not yet been reported.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: